African Adventure 90 day stashbusting pattern

2848083108_d6e1e471fb_z1787414557.jpg   One of the coolest scrap yarn projects I’ve seen can be found in “An African Adventure” by Horst Schulz. I chose to start with an invisible cast on. Follow the pattern (see link on my pattern page) an make one bowtie every day.

This will take me 9 days for bowties and then a day for borders. Let’s see how it looks in 90 days!! Feel free to join me! I have too much yarn and need to destash! Picture at top is completed project from DOLLIEWOLLIE’S RAVELRY PROJECT PAGE.

RUBY…Where have I been?

New York, Texas, California, Florida, The British Isles, South America, St. Louis, Cleveland, Conneticut, Oklahoma, Kentucky. All places that are connected to Ruby and coincidentally, all places I have traveled to. Each time I travel, I keep her history in the back of my mind, should there be a nugget of proof I can locate.

Most recently, I took a chance on locating the place where ruby’s husband had been interred. I was searching for connections, names, relatives. I found myself walking through the Calvary Cemetery in St. Louis at 9AM. (sidenote…excellent website, interesting history, potentially dangerous area-Clark Griswald was right….roll up!) Over the years I have had but one short email from Rubys only surviving niece. With just a few sentences, she unlocked the story and all th pieces I had collected an conjectured, now began to l I no together, . Afterwards, I think, maybe my follow-up questions were a little too much, coming from a stranger. So I’ve been flowing the documents, the census, birth and death certificates, compiling a colorful story of triumph through lifelong adversity. By accident, becoming Ruby’s keeper of Records.

Mulberry, eggplant, lavender, lilac, ….it’s not purple rain.

So in the beginning of 2016, yes 2016! I started on this neckwarmer. I’ve finally picked it up for the last time.

It’s not quite purple ( though I thought purple rain was a clever name for the pattern) I think mulberry captures the name if the color best. This was a thrift store sweater, carefully un-seamed, unraveled and cleaned. In all this was the cowl neck and parts of the sleeves. The donor sweater was pilled and felted in places, I couldn’t use it all. Now tightly knit, it’s very supple, and my only regret is not re-spinning with the multicolored sulky thread, as I did in the original swatch…..maybe next time. I’m super pleased with results as they were worth the effort entirely!

I have a free pattern written up if you would like to try it. Always happy for feedback! You can message me, I can email it.

Just haven’t figured out how to post it here!